Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sailing the Seas Together


Hi! It's Candy.

Recently, my husband and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. The past year has been tough on us both with several drastic changes, including job loss and moving to a new community. So, on our anniversary, I wanted to show him how special he is to me and how much I appreciated his weathering the storms by my side.

I used the themes of sailing and ships throughout the piece.


However, instead of attaching the back piece of book board to the frame, used a hinge so it would open like a book.

The little "story" I wrote to go inside is filled with references to shipping and sailing. I used Distress Ink to tone down the white of the paper. The lighthouse paper is really old. I'm not sure who made it. The hearts are Piccolo parts I pulled out of a card decor set and then enameled with Vintage Copper.
I didn't have any hinges, so I made these using the Tiny Tags & Tabs die from Tim Holtz/Sizzix. I cut them out of Grungepaper, since it is stronger and allows some flexibility.
Then, I used Piccolo Enamel Powders to cover the Grungepaper. I used Vintage Silver and then a hint of Mossy Glen to replicate algae in the water. I added a few brads so they would look more industrial and less like office supplies.
Now for the front ...
The main background is created by applying layers and layers of Distress Stain in several colors: Chipped Sapphire, Broken China, Tumbled Glass, Peeled Paint and Picket Fence. I used spritzes of water and a heat gun and kept going until I thought it looked like the water. Then I spritzed a homemade mix of Perfect Pearls (Gold & Salty Ocean Reinker) in a few spots because sometimes water sparkles.

I wanted to add a fishing net, but I haven't been able to locate one, so I improvised with the Chicken Wire Crafters Workshop template. I used the Piccolo Enamel Powder Adhesive through the template and then applied Vintage Copper Enamel Powder. It's shiny, but I think it gives the feeling of a net.

The top mat I wanted to look like a ship, so I embossed it with a Tim Holtz/Sizzix bubble folder and then coated it with Vintage Silver Enamel Powder. Next, I added some Archival ink in black, did a little scraping with my fingernail and a bit of sanding, then some more powder and more ink until I got the look I was going for.

The middle layer, which I attached with Pop Dots, was painted black and then coated with a 50/50 mix of Glastique and water so it was a bit shiny -- like the paint used in ships.
I added a few metal hardware parts (stolen from my husband's tool box) and a metal star from a Bo Bunny accessory set that I thought resembled a starfish. The smaller gear is another Piccolo part, enameled in Temple Stone.
I added a couple more Piccolo gears (one in Brownstone) and a compass sticker to the bottom corner. The keyhole was needed to balance the project, even though it has nothing to do with a ship. It's from that same pack of accessories from Bo Bunny. I did add a bit of twine to it, since there is always rope on a ship.
And, my sense of humor forced me to add the little fish in the bottom corner. It, too, is a Piccolo part (enameled in 24K) as is the seaweed next to it ( Mossy Glen ). I love to add a cute or unexpected element and what was better than a fish?

To tie it in, I enameled a brass washer (also stolen from my husband) in  Vintage Silver Enamel Powder to serve as a port-hole. I must warn you, if you enamel metal, be extremely careful when you touch it. It heats up and, depending on the metal, may take a long time to cool -- 30 minutes after I heated this washer, it was still warm.

Enjoy the day on or off the water!

2 comments: